Click here for more information about laboratory operations and procedures
If you have additional questions regarding this test, please call: 415-353-1667
|In House Availability||Monday-Friday, day shift|
|Patient Preparation||Samples should be collected before the patient bathes or defecates in the morning.|
|Collection Instructions||Special collection paddles (SWUBE) are available from outpatient phlebotomy stations or Microbiology; if the paddles are unavailable, transparent, clear Scotch tape, (NOT "Magic Transparent" tape), can be used, applying it sticky-side down to a clean glass microscope slide.
CAUTION: Pinworm eggs are very infectious. Wear gloves when collecting sample and wash hands immediately after collection.
SWUBE paddle procedure:
1. Pinworm collection kits are sealed in a plastic bag. Each kit consists of 3 SWUBE¨ paddles, 3 blank labels, and an instruction sheet for proper collection of the sample. The SWUBE¨ paddles are individually wrapped. Do not use if the package is not intact.
2. Specimens should be collected on three consecutive days to rule out infection.
3. The specimen is best obtained a few hours after the patient has retired, between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and midnight, or in the morning, immediately upon rising and before bathing or bowel movement.
4. Unwrap the SWUBE¨ paddle from its package prior to use. Hold the paddle by the cap and remove it from the tube. Set aside the tube.
5. To collect the specimen use the "sticky side" of the paddle, which is labeled on the far end of the paddle near the cap. If you are not sure which side is the "sticky side," feel the end of the paddle with the finger tip to feel the stickiness.
6. In obtaining the sample, spread the buttocks and press the tacky surface of the paddle firmly against several areas (the right and left) of the peri-anal region. Do not press into the anus.
7. Return the paddle in the original tube for transport to the laboratory.
8. Identify the tube by writing the patient's name, medical record number, and the collection date on the blank label provided.
9. Place the tube in a sealed plastic bag and store at room temperature.
|Container type||see notes|
|Sample type||SWUBE¨ paddle|
|Preferred volume||3 SWUBE¨ paddles|
|UCSF Rejection Criteria||Improperly collected sample|
|Stability||Room temperature 1 week|
|Turn around times||1-3 days|
|Last Updated||6/22/2016 12:23:05|