ABMG Laboratory Fellowship Program: International Doctoral Degrees and International Graduate Medical Training
For More Information
- Kimberly Salvatera
- Phone: (415) 476-2981
- Fax: (415) 476-9976
- UCSF ABMG Fellowship Program
- Division of Medical Genetics
- University of California, San Francisco
- 533 Parnassus Avenue
- Room U585, Box 0748
- San Francisco, CA 94143-0748
- All individuals seeking certification by the ABMG must fulfill all basic requirements for certification as outlined in the Program Requirements section.
- All individuals with a doctoral degree earned outside of the US, Canada or Puerto Rico must petition the ABMG Credentials Committee at the ABMG Administrative Office in writing prior to applying to our program for medical genetics training in an ABMG-accredited fellowship or ACGME-accredited clinical genetics residency program. The ABMG will determine the equivalency of your doctoral degree.
Information regarding the process to obtain your training equivalency and the documents required by the ABMG may be found here: Fellowship positions can be considered for US Citizens, residents, and holders of J-1 or H-1B Visas. No other Visas can be considered for training positions. In addition, applicants who completed pediatrics training outside of the United States and Canada may not be eligible for board certification. Board certification is not a requirement, but many foreign applicants wish to sit for the certification examination. If you are unsure about your certification eligibility, please contact the American Board of Pediatrics (http://www.abp.org or telephone: (919) 929-0461). We would also be happy to discuss any questions you might have.
Please also be aware that fellows in our training program are required to have a California Medical License before beginning fellowship training. Please allow at least six months for application processing. Please contact the California Medical Board if you are unsure about your eligibility. An application with detailed instructions is available at http://www.medbd.ca.gov or by written request to: The Medical Board of California, Licensing Program, 1428 Howe Avenue, Suite 56, Sacramento, CA 95825-3236, telephone (916) 263-2344.