Molecular and Cytogenetic Testing Services Specimen & Contact Information
Molecular Diagnostics Director
Molecular Pathology Director
Associate Director for Infectious Diseases
- Charles Chiu, MD, PhD
Most tests require a blood sample. However for prenatal testing, we accept amniotic fluid or chorionic villi biopsies for direct testing or their respective backup cultures.
Blood: One purple top tube for postnatal and adult testing.
Amniotic fluid: 5-10 ml for direct testing and two T25 flasks for prenatal testing using amniocytes culture.
Villi: At least 0.5 cm of tissue for direct testing and two T25 flasks for prenatal testing using CVS culture.
For leukemia testing, one purple top tube of either blood or/and bone marrow.
For Infectious Disease testing:
- HIV-1 RNA, Quantitative by bDNA: EDTA plasma
- HCV RNA, Quantitative by bDNA: Serum
- HCV Genotyping: EDTA plasma
- EBV DNA, Quantitative by PCR: EDTA plasma
- CMV DNA, Quantitative by PCR: EDTA plasma
- HPV High-Risk DNA Types: Cervical brush sample in Cytyc ThinPrep PreservCyt solution
- Chlamydia trachomatis DNA detection: Urine or endocervical / urethral swab (BDProbeTec collection kit)
For Infectious Disease samples, separate plasma and freeze within 6 hours, and ship on dry ice. Ship all other sample at room temperature by overnight carrier to:
ATT’N: Central Processing
- UCSF Clinical Laboratories at China Basin
- 185 Berry Street, Suite 290
- San Francisco, CA, 94107
Please do not send samples on Friday that will arrive on Saturday or Sunday.
Reports and Results
Results are FAXed as soon as available, and a report is mailed as soon as work and billing arrangements are completed. Please provide a FAX number if available, return mailing address, and phone number.
Please provide complete billing information with the sample: Name, DOB, address, phone number.
If the patient is less than 18 years of age, a parent's address must be included.
The Medical Center at UCSF will bill the referring institution. Please download, fillout and submit with the sample the Information and Account Form.