Walter E. Finkbeiner, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
My major clinical interests include autopsy pathology, forensic medicine and pulmonary pathology. My basic research interest focuses on the pathology and pathophysiology of the chronic obstructive lung diseases, particularly cystic fibrosis, chronic bronchitis and asthma. Using in vitro models of airway surface epithelial and gland cells along with human tissue samples, our laboratory studies differentiation of the airway epithelium, regulation of airway secretion, and composition of respiratory mucus, and mechanisms underlying airway gland hyperplasia.
- Zhang L, Gallup M, Zlock L, Finkbeiner W, McNamara NA: Cigarette smoke disrupts the integrity of airway adherens junctions through the aberrant interaction of P120-catenin with the cytoplamic tail of MUC1. J Pathol 229:74-86, 2013.
- Huang F, Zhang H, Wu M, Kudo M, Woodruff P, Soberg O, Peters C, Donne M, Huang X, Sheppard D, Fahy J, Wolters P, Hogan B, Finkbeiner W, Li M, Jan Y-N, Jan L, Rock J. TMEM16A-CaCC modulates mucin secretion and airway smooth muscle contraction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16354-9, 2012.
- Zhang L, Gallup M, Zlock L, Finkbeiner W, McNamara NA: Rac1 and CDC42 differentially modulate cigarette smoke-induced airway cell migration through P120-catenin dependent and independent pathways. Am J Pathol 182:1986-95, 2013.
- Hajighasemi-Ossareh M, Borthwell RM, Stevens JE, Finkbeiner WE, Widdicombe JH: Distribution and size of mucous glands in the ferret tracheobronchial tree. Anat Rec 296:1768-1774, 2013.
- Blanchard E, Zlock L, Lao A, Mika D, Namkung W, Xie M, Scheitrum C, Gruenert DC, Verkman AS, Finkbeiner WE, Conti M, Richter W: Anchored PDE4 regulates chloride conductance in wildtype and ∆F508-CFTR human airway epithelia. FASEB J 28:791-801, 2014.
- Kerr SC, Carrington SD, Oscarson S, Gallagher ME, Solon M, Yuan S, Ahn JN, Dougherty RH, Finkbeiner WE, Peters MC, Fahy JV: Intelectin-1 is a prominent protein constituent of pathologic mucus associated with eosionphilic airway inflammaiton in asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 189:1005-1007, 2014.
- Herring MJ, Putney LF, Wyatt G, Finkbeiner WE, Hyde DM: Growth of alveoli during postnatal development in humans based on stereological estimation. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 307:L338-344, 2014.
- Phuan PW, Veit G, Tan J, Roldan A, Finkbeiner WE, Lukacs G, Verkman AS: Synergy-based small-molecule screen using a human lung epithelial cell line yields ∆F508-CFTR correctors that augment VX-809 maximal efficacy. Mol Pharmacol. 2014 Jul;86(1):42-51, 2014.
- Zhang L, Gallup M, Zlock L, Chen L, Finkbeiner WE, McNamara NA: Pivotal role of MUC1 glycosylation by cigarette smoke in modulating disruption of airway adherens junctions in vitro. J Pathol 234:60-73,, 2014.
- Veit G, Avramescu R, Perdomo D, Phuan P-W, Bagdany M, Apaja PM, Borot F, Szollosi D, Finkbeiner WE, Hegedus T, Verkman AS, Lukacs GL: Some gating potentiators, including VX-770, diminsh ∆F508-CFTR functional expression. Sci Trans Med 6:246ra97, 2014.
- DeMartinis NC, Finkbeiner WE: Less toxic method for producing giant paper organ sections for pathology and anatomy education. Pathol Lab Med Int 6:41-45, 2014.
- Phaun, PW, Veit G, Tan J, Finkbeiner WE, Lukacs G, Vermin AS: Potentiators of defective ∆F508-CFTR channel gating that do not interfere with corrector action. Mol Pharmacol: in press.
- Finkbeiner WE, Ursell PC, Davis RL: Autopsy Pathology: A Manual and Atlas, 2nd edition. Saunders, 2009.
- Professor, Vice Chair and
- Chief of Pathology at SFGH Endowed Chair
Autopsy pathology; Experimental Pathology
- Phone: (415) 206-8230
- Fax: (415) 206-5988
- SFGH, Building 3, Room 205B
- 1001 Potrero Ave.
- San Francisco, CA 94110
- San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center