Timothy H. McCalmont, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My interest is the advancement of diagnostic dermatopathology. Our unit is particularly active as a bridge between conventional microscopy and molecular methods. In the realm of cutaneous lymphoma, we provide comprehensive consultation and classification using both immunophenotyping and genotyping as diagnostic supplements. We also provide consultative diagnoses for a large volume of melanocytic neoplasms and are active in the utilization of comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) and fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH). I also serve as the Editor of the Journal of Cutaneous Pathology.
- Pincus LB, LeBoit PE, Goddard DS, Cho RJ, McCalmont TH. Marked papillary dermal edema--an unreliable discriminator between polymorphous light eruption and lupus erythematosus or dermatomyositis. J Cutan Pathol. 2010 Apr;37(4):416-25. PubMed PMID: 2037767
- McCalmont TH. Batman and adnexal tumors. J Cutan Pathol. 2010 Apr;37(4):401-2. PubMed PMID: 20377669.
- Liu T, McCalmont TH, Frieden IJ, Williams ML, Connolly MK, Gilliam AE. The stiff skin syndrome: case series, differential diagnosis of the stiff skin phenotype, and review of the literature. Arch Dermatol. 2008 Oct;144(10):1351-9. Review. PubMed PMID: 18936399.
- de Feraudy S, Mar N, McCalmont TH. Evaluation of CD10 and procollagen 1 expression in atypical fibroxanthoma and dermatofibroma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008 Aug;32(8):1111-22. PubMed PMID: 18545147.
- El Shabrawi-Caelen L, McCalmont TH. Perinuclear eosinophilic bands: a clue to keratin gene mutation. J Cutan Pathol. 2010 Jul;37(7):718-9. PubMed PMID: 20602663.
- 1990 Century Club, Department of Pathology , Wake Forest University Medical Center
- 1994 Teacher of the Year, Department of Dermatology, UCSF
- 2002 Teacher of the Year, Department of Dermatology, UCSF
- 2005 Teacher of the Year, Department of Dermatology, UCSF
- Professor of Clinical Pathology and Dermatology; Co-Director, UCSF Dermatopathology Service
- Phone: (415) 353-7537
- 1701 Divisadero Street, Suite 280
- San Francisco, CA 94115
- Mt. Zion