Stephen Nishimura, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My laboratory focuses on the interaction of cells with the extracellular matrix and how that interaction influences cell proliferation, migration and differentiation. We are particularly interested in diseases of extracellular-matrix remodeling of the lung (e.g. airway obstruction in COPD). We utilize a variety of in vitro and in vivo systems to study either the loss or gain of integrin function, including cell and organ culture systems and transgenic mice. These models reveal a role for integrins in regulating autocrine and paracrine interactions between epithelial cells and mesenchymal cells.
- Mu, Dezhi, Cambier, S, Baron, JL, Munger, J, Sheppard, D, Broaddus, VC, Nishimura, SL, The integrin avb8 mediates epithelial homeostasis through the MT1-MMP-dependent activation of TGF-b J. Cell Biol. 2002, Apr, 157(3),493-507.
- Fjellbirkeland, L., Cambier, S., Broaddus V.C., Dolganov, G., Hill, A., Brunetta, P., Jablons, D., Nishimura, S.L., Integrin-mediated activation of TGF-b inhibits human airway epithelial proliferation in situ, A J Path, 2003;163:533-542
- Gline, S.E., Cambier, S., Govaerts, C., Nishimura, S.L., A 50 Á separation of the integrin avb3 extracellular domain C- termini reveals an intermediate activation state, J Biol Chem, 2004, Vol. 279, Issue 52, 54567-54572,
- Cambier, S., Gline, S.E., Araya, J, Collins, R., Einheber, S., Dolganov, G., Boudreau, N., Nishimura, S.L., Integrin avb8-mediated activation of TGF-b: an angiogenic control switch, Am. J. Path., 2005, 166:1883-1894.
- Araya, J., Cambier, S., Morris, A., Finkbeiner, W., Nishimura, S.L. Integrin mediated TGF- activation regulates homeostasis of the pulmonary epithelial-mesenchymal trophic unit, Am. J. Path. 2006;169:405-415
- Livingston Trudeau Scholar
- Livingston Trudeau Scholar, American Lung Association
- Professor in Residence
- Anatomic Pathology
- Phone: (415) 206-5906
- Pager: (415) 443-2681
- Fax: (415) 2206-5778
- Stephen Nishimura, MD
- Pathology, SFGH Bldg. 3
- 185 Berry Street, Room 211
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- UCSF Cancer Center
- SF General