Sanjay Kakar, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
GI/liver/pancreatic pathology. Methylation and MSI in colorectal polyps and cancer. Genetic changes in hepatic adenoma, HCC, fibrolamellar HCC.
- Kakar S, Deng G, Cun L, Sahai V, Kim YH, Kim YS. CpG island methylation is frequently present in tubulovillous and villous adenomas and correlates with size, site and villous component. Hum Pathol. 2008;39(1):30-36.
- Buckley A, Burgart LJ, Sahia V, Kakar S. Correlation of EGFR overexpression in hepatocellular carcinoma by immunohistochemistry with gene amplification by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008;129(2):245-51.
- Shafizadeh N, Ferrell LD, Kakar S. Utility of glypican-3 immunohistochemistry for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma at both ends of the differentiation spectrum. Mod Pathol. 2008;21(8):1011-8.
- Kakar S, Deng G, Sahai V, Matsuzaki K, Tanaka H, Miura S, Kim YS. Clinicopathologic characteristics, CpG island methylator phenotype, and BRAF mutations in microsatellite-stable colorectal cancers without chromosomal instability. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132(6):958-64.
- Kakar S, Chen X, Ho C, Burgart LJ, Sahai V, Dachrut S, Yabes A, Jain D, Ferrell LD. Chromosomal changes in fibrolamellar carcinoma: correlation with clinicopathologic features and survival. Mod Pathol 2009;22(1):134-41.
- Kakar S, Chen X, Ho C, Burgart LJ, Sahai V, Adeyi O, Jain D, Ferrell LD. Chromosomal abnormalities determined by comparative genomic hybridization are helpful in the diagnosis of atypical hepatocellular neoplasms. Histopathology 2009; 55(2):197-205.
- Shafizadeh N, Grenert JP, Sahai V, Kakar S. Epidermal growth factor receptor and HER-2/neu status by immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization in adenocarcinomas of the biliary tree and gallbladder. Hum Pathol. 2010;41(4):485-92.
- 2006 Teacher of the Year, UCSF Anatomic Pathology
- 2005-now Digital Slide Program Leader, Surgical Pathology Committee, College of American Pathologists
- 2006-2009 Chair, Training Committee, Gastrointestinal Pathology Society
- 2010-now Vice President, Gastrointestinal Pathology Society
- Associate Professor and
- Benedict Yen Endowed Chair for Chief of Pathology at the VAMC
- Surgical Pathology
Gastrointestinal, Liver and Pancreatic Pathology
- Phone: (415) 221-4810 x2619
- Pager: (415) 207-3527
- Fax: 415-750-6947
- Dept. of Pathology, 113B
- UCSF and VA Medical Center
- 4150 Clement Street
- San Francisco, CA 94121
- Veterans Administration