Rageshree Ramachandran, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
My clinical work is in diagnostic surgical pathology with an emphasis on liver and gastrointestinal disease, including in-house cases and consultation cases sent to UCSF for diagnosis or for a second opinion. My current research focuses on (1) pathology-radiology correlation for a new quantitative ultrasound method used on pediatric liver biopsy patients and (2) assessment of fatty liver disease in pediatric post-liver transplant patients. In the education realm, I oversee pathology curriculum for first- and second-year UCSF medical students, direct the Pathology 150.03 senior medical student elective, and advise the Pathology Student Interest Group. I direct the Department of Pathology’s Mechanisms of Disease Conference series.
- Lounev VY, Ramachandran R, Wosczyna MN, Yamamoto M, Maidment DA, Shore EM, Glaser DL, Goldhamer DJ, Kaplan FS. Identification of progenitor cells that contribute to heterotopic skeletogenesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Mar 1;91(3):652-663.
- Ramachandran R and Kakar S. Histological patterns in drug-induced liver disease. J Clin Pathol. 2009 Jun;62(6):481-492.
- Schafer AL, Vittinghoff E, Ramachandran R, Mahmoudi N, Bauer DC. Laboratory reproducibility of biochemical markers of bone turnover in clinical practice. Osteoporosis Int. 2010 Mar;21(3):439-445. (Appeared in Research Highlights of Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2009 Nov;5:587.)
- Behrends M, Martinez-Palli G, Niemann CU, Cohen S, Ramachandran R, Hirose R. Acute hyperglycemia worsens hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. J Gastrointest Surg. 2010 Mar;14(3):528-535.
- Krings G, Ramachandran R, Jain D, Wu TT, Yeh MM, Torbenson M, Kakar S. Immunohistochemical pitfalls and the importance of glypican 3 and arginase in the diagnosis of scirrhous hepatocellular carcinoma Mod Pathol. 2013 Jun;26(6):782-91.
- Associate Professor
- Co-Director, Ground School block, UCSF School of Medicine Bridges curriculum
- Co-Director, Prepilogue, UCSF School of Medicine Essential Core curriculum
- Surgical Pathology
- Liver and Gastrointestinal Pathology
- See UCSF Directory
- Rageshree Ramachandran, MD, PhD
- Pathology, Box 0102
- 513 Parnassus Avenue, Room S-564A
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- UCSF Essential Core Course Committee
- UCSF Integrated Curriculum Steering Committee
- UCSF Bridges Design Team Leads