Laura B. Pincus, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
I earned my undergraduate and medical degrees from Harvard University. During medical school, I received a Howard-Hughes fellowship to spend a year in a basic science laboratory studying T-cell trafficking to the skin. After medical school, I completed an internship in Internal Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital and then moved to San Francisco for residency in dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Following residency, I spent a year conducting clinical research in cutaneous lymphoma while also working in the Cutaneous Lymphoma Clinic at UCSF. The subsequent year, I completed a fellowship in dermatopathology at UCSF.
In 2009, I received the Weedon Award, given by International Society of Dermatopathology, for the best article published in the American Journal of Dermatopathology. The publication examined the relationship between subcutaneous panniculitis-like T cell lymphoma and lupus erythematosus.
I joined the faculty of the UCSF Dermatopathology Service in 2010. I both serve as a dermatopathologist and the Co-Director of the Cutaneous Lymphoma Clinic. My areas of interest include cutaneous lymphomas, connective tissue diseases, cutaneous infectious diseases, and melanocytic neoplasms. I enjoy teaching residents and medical students both dermatology and dermatopathology.
- Hall BJ, Pincus LB, Yu SS, Oh DH, Wilson AR, McCalmont TH. Immunohistochemical prognostication of Merkel cell carcinoma: p63 expression but not polyomavirus status correlates with outcome. J Cutan Pathol. 2012 Jul 4. PMID: 22882157
- Cho RJ, McCalmont TH, Ai WZ, Fox LP, Treseler P,Pincus LB. Use of an expanded immunohistochemical panel to distinguish cutaneous Hodgkin lymphoma from histopathologic imitators. J Cutan Pathol. 2012 Jun;39(6):651-8. Epub 2012 Feb 11. PMID: 22324490
- Soon CW, Pincus LB, Ai WZ, McCalmont TH. Acneiform presentation of primary cutaneous follicle center lymphoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Oct;65(4):887-9. PMID: 21920255
- Fried I, Pincus LB, North J, El-Shabrawi-Caelen L. Basal cell carcinoma with a bonus. J Cutan Pathol. 2011 Mar;38(3):261-3.
- Pincus LB, Price VH, McCalmont TH. The amount counts: distinguishing neutrophil-mediated and lymphocyte-mediated cicatricial alopecia by compound follicles. J Cutan Pathol. 2011 Jan;38(1):1-4.
- Pincus LB, LeBoit PE, Goddard DS, Cho RJ, McCalmont TH. Marked papillary dermal edema--an unreliable discriminator between polymorphous light eruption and lupus erythematosus or dermatomyositis. J Cutan Pathol. 2010 Apr;37(4):416-25.
- Pincus LB, Zehnder JL, Neuhaus IM, Andreadis C, McCalmont TH. Presentation of extranodal natural killer T-cell lymphoma, nasal type, with poorly circumscribed erythematous patches. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Feb 20;28(6):e94-5.
- Pincus LB, Schwartz BS, Cunningham G, Saeed S, Berger TG. Cutaneous phaeohyphomycosis caused by Cladophialophora bantiana in a scar after treatment with intralesional corticosteroid injections. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009 Sep;61(3):537-8.
- Pincus LB, LeBoit PE, McCalmont TH, Ricci R, Buzio C, Fox LP, Oliver F, Cerroni L. Subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma with overlapping clinicopathologic features of lupus erythematosus: coexistence of 2 entities? Am J Dermatopathol. 2009 Aug;31(6):520-6.
- Bianchi T, Pincus LB, Wurbel MA, Rich BE, Kupper TS, Fuhlbrigge RC, Boes M. Maintenance of peripheral tolerance through controlled tissue homing of antigen-specific T cells in K14-mOVA mice. J Immunol. 2009 Apr 15;182(8):4665-74.
- Pincus LB, Fox LP. Images in clinical medicine. The Stewart-Treves syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2008 Aug 28;359(9):950.
- Pincus LB, McCalmont TH, Neuhaus IM, Kasper R, Oh DH. Basal cell carcinomas arising within multiple trichoepitheliomas. J Cutan Pathol. 2008 Oct;35 Suppl 1:59-64.
- Pincus LB, Grossman ME, Fox LP. The exanthem of dengue fever: Clinical features of two US tourists traveling abroad. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008 Feb;58(2):308-16.
- Solky BA, Pincus L, Horan RF. Vancomycin-induced linear IgA bullous dermatosis: morphology is a key to diagnosis. Cutis. 2004 Jan;73(1):65-7.
- Hurwitz DJ, Pincus L, Kupper TS. Imiquimod: a topically applied link between innate and acquired immunity. Arch Dermatol. 2003 Oct;139(10):1347-50.
- Assistant Professor of Dermatology and Pathology
- Laura B. Pincus, MD
- Pathology, Box 1790
- 1545 Divisadero Street, Room 334
- San Francisco, CA 94143
- Mt. Zion
- San Francisco General
- San Francisco VA