Linda Ferrell, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My interests are primarily liver pathology, with emphasis on liver transplantation, fatty liver, other forms of hepatitis, and liver tumors, particularly well-differentiated hepatocellular tumors (including hepatocellular adenoma variants and focal nodular hyperplasia) and vascular lesions. I have been involved with the NASH CRN study of fatty liver (NIDDK/NIH consortium), and my studies on liver pathology in recurrent hepatitis C after transplantation and on the diagnosis of dysplastic nodules have been recognized internationally as leading papers on these topics. I also continue to be involved in evaluations and reviews of benign liver tumors in coordination with the International Liver Pathology Study Group and the Laennec Society. Our current ongoing studies include continued studies of unusual variants of tumors including HCC, hepatocellular adenomas, focal nodular hyperplasia-like lesions, and vascular tumors and malformations in the liver.
- Liver Pathology, Consultant Pathology Series, Kakar S and Ferrell LD (eds), Demos Medical Publishers, 2011
- MacSween’s Pathology of the Liver, Burt AD, Portmann BC and Ferrell LD (eds), 5th Ed, Elsevier, Edinburgh, 2006, and 6th edition 2012
- Kim GE, Thung SN, Tsui WMS, Ferrell LD. Hepatic cavernous hemangioma: underrecognized associated histologic features. Liver Int’l, 26:334-38, 2006.
- Bioulac-Sage P, Balabaud C, Bedossa P, Scoazec, JY, Chiche L, Dhillon AP, Ferrell L, Paradis V, Roskams T, Vilgrain V, Wanless IR, Zucman-Rossi J and members of the Laennec and Elves groups. Pathological diagnosis of liver cell adenoma and focal nodular hyperplasia: Bordeaux update. Journal of Hepatology 46(3): 521-527, 2007.
- Ferrell L, Greenberg M. Special Stains can distinguish hepatic necrosis with regenerative nodules from cirrhosis Liver International27:681-686, 2007.
- Zen Y, Adsay N, Bardadin K, Romano C, Ferrell L, Haga H, Hong S, Hytiroglou P, Kloppel G, Lauwers G, van Leeuwen D, Notohara K, Oshima K, Quaglia A, Sasaki M, Sessa F, Suriawinata A, Tsui W, Atomi Y, Nakanuma Y. Biliary intraepithelial neoplasia: An international interobserver agreement study and proposal of the revised diagnostic criteria. Modern Pathology 20:701-9, 2007.
- Fenton H, Torbenson M, Vivekanandan P, Yeh M, Hart J, and Ferrell L. Marked iron accumulation in liver explants in the absence of major gene defects of hereditary hemochromatosis: a risk factor for cardiac failure. Transplantation, 187(8): 1256-1260, 2009.
- Kakar S, Chen X, Ho C, Burgart LJ, Adeyi O, Jain D, Sahai V, Ferrell LD. Chromosomal abnormalities determined by comparative genomic hybridization are helpful in the diagnosis of atypical hepatocellular neoplasms. Histopathology 55:197-205, 2009.
- Jakate S, Yabes A, Guisto D, Naini B, Lassman C, Yeh M, Ferrell LD. Diffuse Cirrhosis-like Hepatocellular Carcinoma: a Clinically and Radiographically Undetected Variant Mimicking Cirrhosis, Amer J Surg Pathol 34(7):935-41, 2010.
- Gill RM, Belt P, Wilson L, Bass NM, Ferrell LD. Centrizonal Arteries and Microvessels in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis. Am J Surg Pathol; 35(9):1400-1404, 2011.
- Evason KJ, Grenert JP, Ferrell LD, Kakar S. Atypical hepatocellular adenoma-like neoplasms with β-catenin activation show cytogenetic alterations similar to well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinomas. Human Pathol 44(5):750-8, 2013.
- Balabaud C, Al-Rabih WR, Chen PJ, Evason K, Ferrell L, Hernandez-Prera JC, Huang SF, Longerich T, Park YN, Quaglia A, Schirmacher P, Sempoux C, Thung SN, Torbenson M, Wee A, Yeh MM, Yeh SH, Le Bail B, Zucman-Rossi J, Bioulac-Sage P. Focal Nodular Hyperplasia and Hepatocellular Adenoma around the World Viewed through the Scope of the Immunopathological Classification. Int J Hepatol, Vol 2013, p 1-12, Epub ahead of print.
- Ang CS, Kelley RK, Choti MA, Cosgrove DP, Chou JF, Klimstra D, Torbenson MS, Ferrell L, Pawlik TM, Fong Y, O'Reilly EM, Ma J, McGuire J, Vallarapu GP, Griffin A, Stipa F, Capanu M, Dematteo RP, Venook AP, Abou-Alfa GK. Clinicopathologic Characteristics and Survival Outcomes of Patients with Fibrolamellar Carcinoma: Data from the Fibrolamellar Carcinoma Consortium. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 6(1):3-9, 2013
- Krings G, Can B, and Ferrell L. Altered Hepatic Vascular and Lobular Organization near Centrizonal Scars in Chronic Venous Outflow Obstruction. Amer J Surg Pathol, in press
- Genrich G, Shafizadeh N, Ferrell L, and Kakar S. Hepatocellular Adenomas in a Large Community Population 2000-2010: Reclassification per Current WHO Classification and Long-Term Follow-Up. Mod Path 26 (supple 2): 401A-402A, 2013.
- Gill R, Alves V, Makhlouf H, Sempoux C, Thung S, and Ferrell L. Small Vessel Hepatic Hemangioma, an Atypical Hemangioma Variant in Adult Liver. Mod Path, 25 (supple 2): 413A, 2012
- Gill R, Sempoux C, Makhlouf H, Thung S, Amancio TT, Alves V, and Ferrell L. GLUT1 Expression in Adult Hepatic Vascular Neoplasms. Mod Path 26 (supple 2): 402A, 2013.
- International Liver Pathology Study Group member
- Co-Editor, Pathology of the Liver, Burt AD, Portmann BC, Ferrell LD (eds) 5th and 6th editions
- UCSF teaching awards, 10 total, for resident and medical student teaching
- Numerous invited lectureships and visiting professorships
- 2008 Gold Headed Cane Award
- 2008-09 Hans Popper Hepatopathology President
- 2012-13 President of US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Distinguished Professor in Anatomic Pathology, Vice Chair of Clinical Services, Director of Surgical Pathology, Director of Liver & GI Pathology Fellowship
- Surgical Pathology
Liver & GI Pathology
- Phone: 415-353-1090
- Phone #2: 415-353-1633
- Fax: 415-353-1200
- Department of Pathology
- 505 Parnassus Ave., Rm. M590, Box 0102
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- UCSF Cancer Center
- Mt. Zion
- Veterans Administration
- SF General