Jeffry P. Simko, PhD, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My mission within the Department of Pathology is fourfold. My major focus is genitourinary pathology, where I closely interact with the urologic oncology group of the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center concerning clinical and basic science problems. A large number of research projects amenable to resident participation are available in this area. Specific areas include radiologic-pathologic correlation studies and imaging technology development (mainly focused on MRI/MRSI of the prostate and kidney), biomarker discovery efforts, clinical-pathologic correlation studies, and tumor model construction and characterization. These efforts also extend to my participation in some of the cooperative groups performing national clinical trials (NRG and "The Alliance"). I also participate in biospecimen banking efforts here at UCSF, and on a national level through participation in the NRG, one of the NCI-sponsored cooperative groups performing international clinical trials related to cancer treatment. I also perform general surgical pathology sign out and molecular pathology signout duties. I’m currently serving as interim director of the molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship Program. For additional information, please link to:
Selected Publications (from more than 90)
- Belair CD, Paikari A, Moltzahn F, Shenoy A, Yau C, Dall'Era M, Simko J, Benz C, Blelloch R. DGCR8 is essential for tumor progression following PTEN loss in the prostate. EMBO Rep. 2015 Jul 23. pii: e201439925. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brooks JD, Wei W, Hawley S, Auman H, Newcomb L, Boyer H, Fazli L, Simko J, Hurtado-Coll A, Troyer DA, Carroll PR, Gleave M, Lance R, Lin DW, Nelson PS, Thompson IM, True LD, Feng Z, McKenney JK. Evaluation of ERG and SPINK1 by Immunohistochemical Staining and Clinicopathological Outcomes in a Multi-Institutional Radical Prostatectomy Cohort of 1067 Patients. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 14;10(7):e0132343. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0132343. eCollection 2015.
- Jalloh M, Leapman MS, Cowan JE, Shinohara K, Greene KL, Roach M 3rd, Chang AJ, Chan JM, Simko JP, Carroll PR. Patterns of Local Failure following Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. J Urol. 2015 May 14. pii: S0022-5347(15)03944-0. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2015.04.111. [Epub ahead of print]
- Welty CJ, Cowan JE, Nguyen H, Shinohara K, Perez N, Greene KL, Chan JM, Meng MV, Simko JP, Cooperberg MR, Carroll PR. Extended followup and risk factors for disease reclassification in a large active surveillance cohort for localized prostate cancer. J Urol. 2015 Mar;193(3):807-11. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2014.09.094. Epub 2014 Sep 28.
- Fong L, Carroll P, Weinberg V, Chan S, Lewis J, Corman J, Amling CL, Stephenson RA, Simko J, Sheikh NA, Sims RB, Frohlich MW, Small EJ. Activated lymphocyte recruitment into the tumor microenvironment following preoperative sipuleucel-T for localized prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014 Sep 24;106(11). pii: dju268. doi: 10.1093/jnci/dju268. Print 2014 Nov. Erratum in: J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014 Nov;106(11):dju372 doi:10.1093/jnci/dju372.
- Klein EA, Cooperberg MR, Magi-Galluzzi C, Simko JP, Falzarano SM, Maddala T, Chan JM, Li J, Cowan JE, Tsiatis AC, Cherbavaz DB, Pelham RJ, Tenggara-Hunter I, Baehner FL, Knezevic D, Febbo PG, Shak S, Kattan MW, Lee M, Carroll PR. A 17-gene assay to predict prostate cancer aggressiveness in the context of Gleason grade heterogeneity, tumor multifocality, and biopsy undersampling. Eur Urol. 2014 Sep;66(3):550-60. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2014.05.004. Epub 2014 May 16.
- Hosgood HD 3rd, Pao W, Rothman N, Hu W, Pan YH, Kuchinsky K, Jones KD, Xu J, Vermeulen R, Simko J, Lan Q. Driver mutations among never smoking female lung cancer tissues in China identify unique EGFR and KRAS mutation pattern associated with household coal burning. Respir Med. 2013 Nov;107(11):1755-62. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2013.08.018. Epub 2013 Sep 3.
- Cooperberg MR, Simko JP, Cowan JE, Reid JE, Djalilvand A, Bhatnagar S, Gutin A, Lanchbury JS, Swanson GP, Stone S, Carroll PR. Validation of a cell-cycle progression gene panel to improve risk stratification in a contemporary prostatectomy cohort. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Apr 10;31(11):1428-34. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2012.46.4396. Epub 2013 Mar 4.
- Busch S, Hatridge M, Mößle M, Myers W, Wong T, Mück M, Chew K, Kuchinsky K, Simko J, Clarke J. Measurements of T(1) -relaxation in ex vivo prostate tissue at 132 μT. Magn Reson Med. 2012 Apr;67(4):1138-45. doi: 10.1002/mrm.24177. Epub 2012 Jan 31.
- Professor of Clinical Pathology
- Departments of Anatomic Pathology, Urology and Radiation Oncology
Prostate, bladder and kidney tumor surgical pathology and research
- See UCSF Directory
- Jeffry P. Simko, PhD, MD
- Pathology, Box 4066
- 1825 4th Street, Room M2360
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Director, Genitourinary Program Tissue Core, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Director, RTOG Biospecimen Resource at UCSF (An NCI Sponsored National Cooperative Group Resource)
- Interim Director, Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship Program (ACGME-accredited)