John S. Greenspan BSC, BDS, PhD, FRCPath, FDSRCS [Eng]
Research and Clinical Interests
The epidemiology, etiopathogenesis and management of oral soft tissue diseases, notably those associated with HIV infection and other causes of immunosuppression, as well as aphthous ulcers, Sjögren's syndrome, and oral cancer/pre-cancer.
- Whitcher JP, Shiboski CH, Shiboski SC, Heidenreich AM, Kitagawa K, Zhang S, Hamann S, Larkin G, McNamara NA, Greenspan JS, Daniels TE. “A Simplified Quantitative Method for Assessing Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca from the Sjögren’s Syndrome International Registry”, Am J Ophthal 2010;149:405-415.
- Daniels T, Criswell L, Shiboski C, Shiboski S, Lanfranchi H, Dong Y, Schiødt M, Umehara H, Sugai S, Challacombe S, Greenspan JS. “An Early View of the International Sjögren’s Syndrome Registry”, AC&R; 61:711-714, 2009.
- Navazesh M, Mulligan R, Karim R, Mack WJ, Ram S, Seirawan H, Greenspan JS, Greenspan D, Phelan J, Alves M. “Effect of HAART on Salivary Gland Function in the Women’s Interagency HIV study (WIHS).”, Oral Dis. 15(1):52-60, 2009, PMC2644059. (Awarded Best Original Article published by Oral Diseases during 2009.)
- Mulligan R, Seirawan H, Alves M, Navazesh M, Phelan J, Greenspan D, Greenspan JS. “Oral health-related quality of life among HIV-infected and at-risk Women”, Commun Dent Oral Epid 36:349-557, 2008.
- Owotade FJ, Shiboski CH, Poole L, Ramstead CA, Malvin K, Hecht FM, Greenspan JS. “Preva-lence of oral disease among adults with primary HIV infection”, Oral Dis: 14, 497–499, 2008.
- American Association of Dental Research (AADR) Distinguished Scientist Award, 2010
- Mentor Award, National Student Research Group, American Association for Dental Research, 2006
- Distinguished Professor of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry
- Distinguished Professor of Pathology and Director, AIDS Research Institute, School of Medicine
- Orofacial Sciences, SoD; AIDS Research Institute and and Dept. of Pathology, School of Medicine
- Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
- Oral Pathology
- Phone: 415-476-2220
- Fax: 415-514-0395
- 513 Parnassus Avenue
- Box 0422
- San Francisco, CA 94143-0422
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Executive Committee and Steering Committee, Global Health Sciences Program (Founding member of UCSF Graduate Group in GHS)
- Member, Tanzania Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS)/UCSF Education Committee
- Member, Global Health Sciences Program Burke Family Faculty, Search Committee
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee and Member, Advisory Board, Osher Center for Integrative Medicine (OCIM)
- Director, UCSF AIDS Research Institute (ARI)
- Member, Deans, Chairs & Directors Committee
- Executive Deans Committee: Pathways to Careers in Clinical and Translational Research (PACCTR) & Doris Duke Fellowship Program
- Member, Clinical and Translational Research Pathway Council
- Member, Clinical and Translational Science Institute, RAP Cancer Committee
- Member, Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Biospecimen Strategic Task Force
- UCSF Medical Staff: Oral Pathology – basic & special privileges