Britt-Marie Ljung, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
As director of the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Research Tissue Bank, I oversee collection, processing, storing and distribution of surplus tissue obtained surgically for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. I spearheaded a universal patient consent form for banking in collaboration with our IRB and the NCI. This form has been adopted or used as a guide by institutions nationally, including UCLA
I serve as Chair of the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Tissue Shared Resource Oversight Committee that oversees all tissue banks associated with the Cancer Center and ensures regulatory compliance. I serve on two NIC sponsored tissue bank related committees.
I have an interest in breast and thyroid disease and have ongoing studies of recurrence of DCIS, correlation between FNAB cytology and histology and molecular events in early breast neoplasia.
- Hwang SE, Devries S, Chew KL, Moore D, Kerlikowske K, Thor A, Ljung BM, Waldman FM. Patterns of Chromosomal Alterations in Breast Ductal Carcinoma In situ. Clinical Cancer Res. 2004 Aug. 1, 10(15):5160-7.
- Khan SA, Wiley EL, Rodriguez N, Baird C, Ramakrishman R, Nayar R, Bryk M, Bethke KB, Staradub VL, Wolfman J, Rademaker A, Ljung BM and Morrow M. Ductal lavage findings in women with known breast cancer undergoing mastectomy. Journal Natl. Cancer Inst. 2004 Oct 20;96(20):1510-7.
- Parmar H, Melov S, Samper E, Ljung BM, Cunha GR, Benz CC. Hyperplasia, reduced E-cadherin expression, and developmental arrest in mammary glands oxidatively stressed by loss of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase. Breast. 2005 August: 14(4):256-63.
- Brogi E., Miller MJ, Casadio C, Ljung BM, Montgomery L. Paired ductal lavage and fine-needle aspiration specimens from patients with breast carcinoma. Diagnostic Cytopathology 2005 December; 33(6):370-5.
- Fridlyand J, Snijders AM, Ylstra B, LiH, Olshen A, Segraves R, Dairkee S, Tokuyasu T, Ljung BM, Jain AN, McLennan J, Ziegler J, Chin K, Devries S, Feiler H, Gray JW, Waldman F, Pinkel D, Albertson DG. Breast tumor copy number aberration phenotypes and genomic instability. BMC Cancer. 2006 April 18; 6(1):96.
- 1994 Award for "Outstanding Lecture," UCSF School of Medicine Class of 1996
- 2000 Award for Best Abstract Presentation by Senior Faculty Member, UCSF Clinical Research Program, 2000
- 2001 Nominee "Outstanding Lecture", "Outstanding Lecture Series," UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2003
- 2010 Yolanda Oertel Interventional Cytopathologist of the Year, Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology
- Professor of Clinical Pathology, Director Cytopathology Fellowship Program, Vice Chair Dept. , Co-Director, and Cytopathology Department
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy
- Phone: 415-353-7048
- Pager: 415-443-2609
- Fax: 415-353-7676
- 1600 Divisadero, R-204
- San Francisco, CA 94115
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Comprehensive Cancer Center Research Tissue Bank
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Tissue Shared Resource Oversight Committee
- Breast Oncology Program
- Breast Tissue Utilization Committee
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Breast Care Center Site Committee
- Cancer Center Program Planning Committee
- Cancer Committee
- Bylaws Committee
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Endocrine Oncology Section
- UCSF Cancer Center Performance Improvement Subcommittee
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Cancer Risk Program Steering Committee
- UCSF HIPPA Research Committee
- UCSF Committee on Privilege & Tenure Advisory Panel
- Cancer Center Program Activity Coordinator for Multidisciplinary Cancer Conferences
- Mt. Zion