Andrew W. Bollen, MD, DVM
Research and Clinical Interests
My clinical interest is that of the diagnosis of diseases of the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system, with an emphasis on neoplastic and infectious disease. This includes translational research with neuro-oncology, and a spectrum of studies with the brain tumor research center.
Research interests include cytogenetics of CNS neoplasms and molecular control mechanisms (collaboration with Dr. Anita Lal and Dr. Joseph Costello). With Dr. William Young I am currently studying cellular processes influencing the development of CNS vascular malformations. With Dr. Robert Higgins of the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine I have been identifying a number of animal brain tumors, working on the development of animal tumor model systems, and developing potential therapeutic approaches.
- Langer-Gould A, Atlas SW, Green AJ, Bollen AW, Pelletier D. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in a patient treated with natalizumab. N Eng J Med. 353: 375-81, Jul/28/2005.
- Hong C, Maunakea A, Jun P, Bollen AW, Hodgson JG, Goldenberg DD, Weiss WA, Costello JF. Shared epigenetic mechanisms in human and mouse gliomas inactivate expression of the growth suppressor SLC5A8. Cancer Res. 65: 3617-23, May/1/2005.
- Magnetic resonance imaging and histological classification of intracranial meningiomas in 112 dogs. Sturges BK, Dickinson PJ, Bollen AW, Koblick PD, Kass PH, Vernau KM, Knipe MF, LeCouteur RA, Higgins RJ. Journal Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2008, May-June (22), 586-95.
- Endothelial notch signaling is upregulated in human brain arteriovenous malformations in a mouse model of the disease. Murphy P, Lu G, Bollen A, Wang R. Lab Invest; Jun 22 2009 epub ahead of print.
- Under the Radar: Balamuthia Amebic Encephalitis. Schuster F, Yagi S, Gavali S, Michelson D, Raghavan R, Blomquist I, Glastonbury C, Bollen A, Scharnhorst D, Reed S, Kuriyama, Visvesvara G, and Glaser C. CID 2009:48 (1 April): 879-887.
- 2001-present: Castle Connolly Guide, America's Top Doctors, Neuropathology
- 2005-present: Castle Connolly Guide, America's Top Doctors for Cancer
- Professor of Clinical Neuropathology
- CNS neoplasms
- CNS infectious disease
- Skeletal muscle and Peripheral nerve
- Veterinary Neuropathology
- Phone: 415-476-5236
- Fax: 415-476-7963
- University of California, San Francisco
- Department of Pathology, Division of Neuropathology
- 505 Parnassus Avenue
- Room M553, Box 0102
- San Francisco, CA 94143-0102
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Neuro-Oncology Program
- UCSF Brain Tumor Research Center
- California Encephalitis Project
- UCSF Center for Cerebrovascular
- Moffitt-Long Hospital
- San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center
- Veterans Administration Medical Center