Abul K. Abbas, MBBS
Research and Clinical Interests
My research is focused on immunological tolerance and autoimmunity. Using transgenic and knockout mice, my laboratory is exploring the mechanisms that maintain tolerance to tissue and systemic self-antigens, and the conditions that lead to the breakdown of self-tolerance and the development of autoimmunity. We are also analyzing the roles of different cytokines and T-cell subsets in autoimmune disease, and in the function of regulatory T-cells.
- Knoechel B, Lohr J, Kahn E, Bluestone JA, and Abbas AK. Sequential development of effector and regulatory T lymphocytes in response to endogenous systemic antigen. J. Exp. Med. 202:1375-1386, 2005.
- Rioux JD, and Abbas AK. Paths to understanding the genetic basis of autoimmune disease. Nature 2005; 435:2-7.
- Sharpe AH, Abbas AK. T-cell costimulation--biology, therapeutic potential, and challenges. New Engl J Med. 355:973-5, 2006.
- Lohr J, Knoechel B, Wang JJ, Villarino AV, and Abbas AK. Role of IL-17 and regulatory T lymphocytes in a systemic autoimmune disease. J. Exp. Med. 203:2785-2791, 2006.
- O'Gorman, Dooms H, Thorne SH, Kuswanto W, Simonds EF, Krutzik PO, Nolan G, and Abbas AK. The initial phase of an immune response functions to activate regulatory T-cells. J. Immunol. 183:322-9, 2009.
- Caretto D, Katzman SD, Villarino AV, Gallo E, and Abbas AK. Cutting Edge: The Th1 response inhibits the generation of peripheral regulatory T-cells. J. Immunol. 2010; 184:30-34., 2010.
- Villarino A, Katzman SD, Gallo E, Miller O, Jiang S, McManus MT and Abbas AK. Posttranscriptional silencing of effector cytokine mRNA underlies the anergic phenotype of self-reactive T cells. Immunity 28:50-60, 2011.
- Rosenblum MD, Gratz IK, Paw JS, Lee K, Marshak-Rothstein A and Abbas AK. Response to self antigen imprints regulatory memory in tissues. Nature 180:538-42, 2011.
- Rosenblum MD, Gratz IK, Paw JS and Abbas AK. Treating human autoimmunity: current practice and future prospects. Science Transl Med. 4: 125sr1, 2012.
- Abbas AK, Lichtman AH, Pillai S. CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR IMMUNOLOGY, Philadelphia: Elsevier, 8th edition, 2014. (1st edition published in 1991).
- Abbas AK and Lichtman AH. BASIC IMMUNOLOGY; Functions and Disorders of the Immune System. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 4th edition, 2012. (1st edition published in 2001).
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Aster J. ROBBINS & COTRAN PATHOLOGIC BASIS OF DISEASE. Elsevier 9th edition, 2014.
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Mitchell RN. ROBBINS BASIC PATHOLOGY, Elsevier 9th edition, 2012.
- 1968 Nuffield Scholar, University of Leeds Medical School, Leeds, England
- 1969 Institute Gold Medal, All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 1987 Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Award, American Association of Pathologists
- 1988 Irving M. London Teaching Award, Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology
- 1994 Harvard Medical School Faculty Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Harvard Medical School
- 1994-04 NIH MERIT Award, NIH
- 1995 Pre-Clinical Teaching Award, Harvard Medical School
- 2002 Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- 2003-04 President, American Society of Investigative Pathology
- 2007 Rous-Whipple Award, American Society of Investigative Pathology
- 2002, 2008 Distinguished Teaching Award, Outstanding Lecture Series, UCSF School of Medicine
- 2009 Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2010 Robbins Distinguished Educator Award, American Society of Investigative Pathology
- 2011-13 President, Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies
- Distinguished Professor in Pathology, Chair of Pathology
- Phone: 415-514-0681
- Fax: 415-502-4563
- Abul K. Abbas, MBBS
- Pathology, Box 0511
- 505 Parnassus Avenue, Suite M-590
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- BMS Graduate Program
- Immunology Graduate Program
- UCSF Cancer Center
- UCSF Stem Cell Program
- Mt. Zion
- Veterans Administration
- SF General