William Lawrence Drew, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
Transmission of CMV by blood transfusion: Despite a wealth of past research, many aspects of the transmission and/or activation of CMV by blood donation remain unclear. My laboratory participated in a nationwide, 13 center, collaborative study to determine if blood transfusion activated latent CMV infection in HIV positive recipients. Using a PCR assay previously developed and evaluated in my laboratory in collaboration with Roche Labs (#79) the results of this study which showed no evidence of activation were published in (#105). In a subsequent study we examined blood donors for evidence of asymptomatic CMV viremia using five different PCR assays, including the assay performed in my lab. Validation of our PCR assay for this purpose was published in #93 and the follow-up study of 1000 blood donors was performed in my lab as well as in Dr. Roback’s lab at Emory University and published in #103. An outcome of these latter studies was to develop a collaboration with Drs. Harvey Alter at NIH and Dr. Michael Busch at BCP which led to a retrospective study of CMV viremia by PCR in blood donors and recipients who were known to have seroconverted (#102).
- Chou S, Waldemer RH, Senters AE, Michels KS, Kemble GW, Miner RC, Drew WL. Cytomegalovirus UL 97 phototransferase mutations that affect susceptibility to ganciclovir. J Infect Dis 2002;185:162-9.
- Chou S, Lurain NS, Thompson KD, Miner RC, Drew WL. Viral DNA polymerase mutations associated with drug resistance in human cytomegalovirus. J Infect Dis 2003;188:32-9.
- Lalezari JP, Aberg JA, Wang LH, Wire MB, Miner R, Snowden W, Talarico CL, Shaw S, Jacobson MA, Drew WL. A phase I/II dose-escalation trial to evaluate the anti-HCMV pharmacokietics, activity, and safety of 1263W94 in HIV-infected subjects with asymptomatic HCMV shedding. Antimicrobial Agents Chemother 2002;46:2969-76.
- Drew WL, Chou S, Mohr BA, Assmann SF, Miner RC, Laycock ME, Busch MP for the Viral Activation Transfusion Study (VATS) Group. Absence of activation of CMV by blood transfusion to HIV-infected, CMV-seropositive patients. Transfusion 2003;43:1351-1357.
- Drew WL, Tegtmeier G, Alter HA, Laycock ME, Miner RC, Busch MP. Frequency and duration of plasma CMV viremia in seroconverting blood donors and recipients. Transfusion 2003;43:309-313.
- Alpha Omega Alpha - Jefferson Chapter, 1962
- Jefferson Medical College, Jefferson Alumni Achievement Award, June 2000
- Western Association of Physicians
- Ortho-McNeill Annual Visiting Professor, Oregon Health Sciences University, July 1997
- UCSF Mount Zion Alumni and Staff Association Award of Distinguished Alumnus for 1997
- Edith Hsiung Lecture. Pan American Group for Rapid Viral Diagnosis. Clearwater, Florida, 1992 and 1995
- Director, Clinical Virology Laboratory
- Laboratory Medicine
- Clinical Laboratory
- Virology, Clinical
- Phone: 415-885-7315
- Fax: 415-353-9583
- William Lawrence Drew, MD, PhD
- Laboratory Medicine, Box 1629
- 1600 Divisadero Street, Room B201
- San Francisco, CA 94143