Lab Manual for Moffitt-Long and Mount Zion
Michael S. McGrath, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
- Translational research in defining the role macrophages play in the pathogenesis of chronic human disease. “Sequential Pathogenesis” model.
- Development of macrophage targeted therapeutics, interfacing UCSF research program with private industry.
- Facilitation of collaborative research through establishment of an international AIDS and cancer specimen bank/resource.
- Zenger E, Abbey NW, Weinstein MD, Gofman I, Millward C, Gascon R, Elbaggari A, Herndier BG, McGrath MS. Injection of human primary effusion lymphoma cells or associated macrophages into SCID mice causes murine lymphomas. Cancer Research 62:5536-42; 2002.
- Gascon RL, Narvaez AB, Zhang R, Kahn JO, Hecht FM, Herndier BG, McGrath MS. Increased HLA-DR expression on peripheral blood monocytes in subsets of subjects with primary HIV infection is associated with elevated CD4 cell apoptosis and CD4 cell depletion. JAIDS 30(2):146-153; 2002.
- Mack KD, Jin X, Kapp L, Wei R, Abbey NW, Elbaggari A, Liu Y, Herndier BG, McGrath MS. HIV insertions within and proximal to host cell genes are a common finding in AIDS-related diseased tissues containing high levels of HIV p24 antigen expression. JAIDS 33(3):308-320; 2003.
- Zhang RZ, Gascon R, Miller RG, Gelinas D, Mass J, Hadlock K, Jin X, Reis J, Narvaez A, McGrath MS. Evidence for systemic immune system alterations in sporadic Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (sALS). Journal of Neuroimmunology, 159:215-224; 2005.
- Salemi M, Lamer S, Yu S, Oliveira T, Fitch W, McGrath MS. HIV-1 Phylodynamic analysis in distinct brain compartments provides a model for the neuropathogenesis of AIDS. J Virol, Sept 17, 2005.
- 1973 Third Annual Livermore Award for Outstanding Student in Hematologic Research, University of Minnesota Medical School
- 1974 summa cum laude in Biology
- 1990 Outstanding Speaker Award, American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 1999 - 2000 Mercatur Scholar, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Professor of Laboratory Medicine, Medicine and Pathology
- Laboratory Medicine
- 1001 Potrero Ave, Bldg 3, Room 207C
- San Francisco, CA 94110
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- UCSF Biosafety Committee
- University Relations with Industry Committee (Conflict of Interest Committee)
UCSF Health and Safety Policy Board
- UCSF Wide Occupational Health and Communicable Disease Assessment Committee
The University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143. ©1998-2012 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Web Design by Dayspring Technologies, Inc.