Joan E. Etzell, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My major interests include diagnostic hematopathology (including ancillary testing, such as flow cytometry and molecular diagnostics), laboratory hematology, and medical education in hematology. My primary research focus is translational research in diagnostic hematopathology, including contributions of flow cytometry and molecular diagnostics/cytogenetics, to diagnosis and prognosis.
- Fiebig EW, Etzell JE, and Ng VL. Clinically relevant differences in prothrombin time and INR values related to blood sample collection in plastic versus siliconized glass tubes. Amer J Clin Pathol, 124(6): 902-9, 2005.
- Etzell JE and Wang E. Acquired Pelger-Huët Anomaly in Association with Concomitant Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil in a Liver Transplant Patient: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine,130(1): 93-96, 2006.
- Etzell JE, Keet C, McDonald W, and Banerjee A. Medulloblastoma Simulating Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Case Report with a Review of “Myeloid Antigen” Expression in Non-Hematopoietic Tissues and Tumors. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 28(11): 703-10, 2006.
- Yang T and Etzell JE. Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis and the Hemophagocytic Syndrome: Clinical, Pathologic, and Molecular Genetic Features. American Society of Clinical Pathology Check Sample, 42(1): 1-18, 2007.
- Gill RM and Etzell JE. Basophilic leukemia in recurrent chronic myelogenous leukemia blast phase. Amer J Hematol, 82(8):736-7, 2007.
- Gill RM, Karlon WJ, and Etzell JE. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia/Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma: Clinical and Pathologic Features. American Society of Clinical Pathology Check Sample, 43(4): 49-70, 2008.
- Deftos M, Karlon WJ, and Etzell JE. Chronic Eosinophilic Leukemia/Hypereosinophilic Syndrome: Clinical and Pathologic Features. American Society of Clinical Pathology Check Sample, 43(5): 71-90, 2008.
- Krasik E and Etzell JE. Plasma Cell Myeloma (Multiple Myeloma). American Society of Clinical Pathology Check Sample, in press.
- 2000-2001 Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
- 2005 Lifetime Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
- 2006-2007 Teaching Scholars Program, UCSF
- Professor of Clinical Laboratory Medicine; Director, Clinical Hematology Laboratory, UCSF Medical Center; Director, Hematopathology Fellowship; Associate Director, Laboratory Medicine Residency Training Program
- Laboratory Medicine
- Phone: 415-353-1750
- Pager: 415-443-4360
- Fax: 415-353-1106
- Clinical Hematology Laboratory UCSF
- M524, Box 0100
- 505 Parnassus Avenue
- San Francisco, CA 94143-0100
- UCSF Medical Center