Clifford A. Lowell, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
Research interests in basic intracellular signal transduction mechanisms in innate immune cells. The laboratory has focused on tyrosine kinase based signaling in neutrophils, macrophages and dendritic cells. These pathways regulate the way the immune system senses and responds to invading pathogens such as bacteria and fungi. Dysregulation of these intracellular signaling pathways is linked to autoimmunity, immunodeficiency and hematopoietic malignancy (leukemia/lymphoma). The Lowell Lab has taken the general approach of generating mutant mice lacking intracellular signaling molecules then studying these animals to determine how the mutations affect their normal immune function.
- Mocsai, A., Abram, C.L., Jakus, Z., Hu. Y., and Lowell, C.A. (2006) Integrin signaling in neutrophils and macrophages uses adaptors containing immunoreceptor tyrosine-based activation motifs. Nature Immunology, .7, in press.
- Zhang, H., Ulrich, S.Y., Green, C.E., Chen, H., Saranto, M.R., Hu, Y., Wara, D., Simon, S.I., Lowell, C.A. (2006) Impaired integrin-dependent function in Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome Protein-deficient murine and human neutrophils. Immunity. 25: 285-295.
- Chu, C.L. and Lowell, C.A. (2005) The Lyn kinase differentially regulates dendritic cell generation and maturation. J. Immunol. 175:2880-2889.
- Berton, G., Mocsai, A., Lowell, C.A. (2005) Src kinases and Syk: key regulators of phagocytic cell activation. Trends Immunol., 26, 208-214.
- Lowell, C.A. (2004) Src-family kinases: rheostats of immune cell signaling. Mol. Immunol. 41:631-643.
- Leukemia/Lymphoma Society Scholar Award
- Stewart Family Trust Scholar Award
- American Society of Hematology Junior Faculty Scholar Award
- Professor and Chair
- Laboratory Medicine
- Phone: 415-476-2963
- Fax: 415-502-5462
- Dept. of Laboratory Medicine, UCSF
- 505 Parnassus Avenue
- San Francisco, CA 94143-0100
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
UCSF Cancer Center Progam
- Biomedical Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Hematopoietic Malignancies
- Moffitt-Long Hospital