Charles Y. Chiu, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
My interests include the use of metagenomics-based strategies (the Virochip pan-viral microarray and deep sequencing) for the diagnosis and discovery of viruses associated with a variety of acute (e.g. hepatitis, encephalitis, respiratory illness, gastroenteritis) and chronic (e.g. cancer) disease states. Specific ongoing projects in the laboratory include:
(1) Culturing and virological characterization of a novel human cardiovirus, with efforts to generate an infectious clone and clone the receptor
(2) Development of comprehensive tools (Virochip, PLEX-ID, and deep sequencing) for diagnosis of viral encephalitis and meningitis
(3) Broad-based detection of infectious agents in blood by microarrays and deep sequencing
(4) Development of rapid, point-of-care microarray diagnostics for viral pathogens
- Chiu CY, Rouskin S, Koshy A, Urisman A, Fischer K, Yagi S, Schnurr D, Eckburg PB, Tompkins LS, Blackburn BG, Merker JD, Patterson BK, Ganem D, and DeRisi JL. (2006) Microarray Detection of Human Parainfluenza 4 Infection Associated with Respiratory Failure in an Immunocompetent Adult. Clinical Infectious Diseases 43(8):e71-6 (PMID: 16983602).
- Chiu CY*, Urisman A*, Greenhow TL, Rouskin S, Yagi S, Schnurr D, Wright C, Drew WL, Wang D, Weintrub PS, DeRisi JL, and Ganem D. (2008) Utility of DNA Microarrays for Detection of Viruses in Pediatric Acute Respiratory Tract Infections. Journal of Pediatrics 45(7):2340-3 (PMID: 18571541).
- Chiu CY, Greninger A, Kanada K, Kwok T, Louie J, Glaser C, Yagi S, Schnurr D, Haggerty T, Parsonnet J, Ganem D, and DeRisi JL. (2008) Identification of novel cardioviruses related to Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus in human infections. PNAS 105(37):14124-9 (PMID: 18768820).
- Sorber K*, Chiu CY*, Webster D, Dimon M, Ruby G, Hekele A, and DeRisi JL. (2008) The long march: a specimen preparation technique that enhances contig length and coverage by high-throughput short-read sequencing. PloS One 3(10):e3495 (PMID: 18941527).
- Chiu CY, Greninger AL, Chen EC, Haggerty TD, Parsonnet J, Delwart E, DeRisi JL, and Ganem D. (2010) Cultivation and serological characterization of a human Theiler's-like cardiovirus associated with diarrheal disease. Journal of Virology 84(9):4407-4414 (PMID: 20164225). *co-first authors
- 2009 QB3 Rogers Family Foundation Award
- Associate Professor in Residence
- Laboratory Medicine and Medicine
- Division: Infectious Diseases
- Viral Detection and Discovery
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Microarrays and Deep Sequencing
- Phone: (415) 514-8219
- Pager: (415) 443-6003
- Fax: (415) 514-8242
- Charles Y. Chiu, MD, PhD
- Laboratory Medicine, Box 0134
- 185 Berry Street, Suite 185
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Director, UCSF Viral Diagnostics and Discovery Center (http://vddc.ucsf.edu)
- Associate Director, UCSF Clinical Microbiology Laboratory
- Faculty Member, Biomedical Sciences (bms.ucsf.edu)
- QB3 Investigator (www.qb3.org)
- Mt. Zion
- San Francisco VA