Alan H.B. Wu, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
My area of research is focused on “personalized therapeutics,” i.e., the use of biomarkers to determine proper selection and dosing of drugs to maximize efficacy and minimize adverse reactions. Many future drugs will require biomarker testing prior to use on individual patients and clinical trials are needed to validate their use. In the area of pharmacogenomics, we are interested in drug dosing studies for warfarin, irinotecan, tamoxifen, phenytoin and lipid lowering drugs. We are also performing research on validating novel protein markers for cardiovascular diseases such as stroke, acute coronary syndromes and heart failure.
- Wu AHB, Drees JC, Wang H, VandenBerg SR, Lal A, Henner WD, Pillai R. Gene expression profiles identify the tissue of origin for metastatic brain cancers. Diagn Pathol 2010, 5:26-32.
- Wu AHB, Lorizio W, Tchu S, Lynch K, Gerona R, Wuyang Ji, Ruan W, Ruddy KJ, Desantis SD, Burstein HJ, Ziv E. Estimation of tamoxifen metabolite concentrations in the blood of breast cancer patients through CYP2D6 genotype activity score. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2012,133:677-83.
- Wu AHB, Gerona R, Armenian P, French D, Petrie M, Lynch KL. Role of liquid chromatography-high-resolution mass spectrometry (LC-HR/MS) in clinical toxicology. Clin Toxicol 2012;50:733-42.
- Wu AHB. Drug metabolizing enzymes activities versus genetic variances for drug of clinical pharmacogenomic relevance. Clin Proteom 2011,18:12-21.
- Ky B, French B, McCloskey K, Rame JE, McIntosh E, Shahi P, Dries DL, Tang WHW, Wu AHB, Fang JC, Boxer R, Sweitzer NK, Levy WC, Goldberg LR, Jessup M, Cappola TP. High-sensitivity ST2 for prediction of adverse outcomes in chronic heart failure. Circ Heart Fail 2011;4:180-7.
- 2002 American Assoc for Clinical Chemistry Outstanding Contributions to Education Award
- 2005 IVD Technology's Top Ten Persons in the IVD Industry
- 2005 AACC Connecticut Valley Section, Seligson-Golden Award
- 2006 Meyer Bodanski Visiting Professor of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch
- Professor Laboratory Medicine, Chief, Clinical Chemistry Laboratory, SFGH
- Laboratory Medicine
- Clinical Chemistry
- Cardiac biomarkers
- Analytical and toxicology
- See UCSF Directory
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center
- 1001 Potrero Ave., Room 2M27
- San Francisco, CA 94110
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Pharmaceutical Science and Pharmacogenomics
- San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center